Good afternoon, Silver Falls Families.
Today, Governor Brown announced that she is directing the Oregon Health Authority to require all employees & volunteers in K-12 schools to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This directive is in alignment with similar directives in other states, as well as with similar requirements for state employees and healthcare workers here in Oregon.
The rule itself has not yet been made public, but we do know the following:
- We know that this rule will apply to all teachers, educators, support staff, and volunteers in K-12 schools.
- We know that this requirement will affect all K-12 schools across the state, including both public and private institutions.
- We know that the date by which vaccinations will be required will be October 18th, or six weeks from FDA approval, whichever is later.
- There is no alternative/frequent testing option available. Similar options for state healthcare workers were rescinded today as part of the Governor’s announcement.
- Just as with state employees and healthcare workers facing similar requirements, religious and medical/disability related exemptions will apply.
When further details are available, we will ensure they are shared with our employee groups and the community at large.
Thank you for your understanding as we continue to navigate the changing landscape of the pandemic. As always, our focus is on doing whatever we can to ensure we can open our schools this year in a full five days per-week in-person format and keep them open for the entire duration of the school year.
We’re grateful for everything you’re doing in your personal life to limit your exposure to and the spread of COVID-19 in the weeks leading up to the school year in particular.